A new project for the winter of 2018: To complement our very successful Honda CB125T twin cylinder racer, I have begun building a single cylinder version using a 1970's Honda CB125S engine. The one off frame, based on early Honda Grand Prix racers, is now complete and a set of CB125T forks shortened to suit. A twin leading shoe Honda SL350 front hub awaits adapting and an aluminium petrol tank is the latest component to emerge from my engineering workshop. Hopefully the bike will be on it's wheels in the Spring of 2019, check out Turnertech Engineering on Instagram for the latest updates.
In June 2017 I was approached to recreate a lost motorcycle from the 1920's: The unique Wardill supercharged 2-stroke. Not to be confused with the Dunelt, which might appear superficially similar, the Wardill featured a special phased charging piston and in competition tests proved very successful, sadly the company was a victim of the Great Depression.
Very soon the project changed to initially producing a batch of replicas with a modern engine, Turnertech to design and manufacture the prototype of the new bike, following the original as closely as possible.
Some of the major components such as the frame and girder forks were manufactured by 3rd party suppliers. Despite setbacks with some suppliers the bike was largely complete in time for the Brooklands Museum Motorcycle Show on 1st July 2018 where it was very well received by show goers and 2 preliminary orders taken. It has been a great pleasure working with Mr. Wardill, who's boundless enthusiasm for the project has driven it on so rapidly.
A really fun project completed for a customer in Dec 2016; this Suzuki GS400 Brat Style bike has emphasis on practicality for Summer fun:
Shortened fork stanchions, taper roller head bearings, custom fork brace, rebuilt caliper, power coated hubs and rims, aftermarket silencers fitted with more efficient stainless steel baffles and pipe adaptors, cut down rear sub frame and custom seat, modified custom rear light, tiny digital speedo and modified Honda CB100N headlamp with custom brackets, hand formed custom front mudguard, CNC machined mirror, ignition switch re located under the petrol tank and host of other small modifications and improvements.
Customer's comment after the first ride: ".. absolutely fantastic, feels so spritely and grin inducing."
Replica of an early 1920's Scott Squirrel front brake backplate, torque arm, wheel spindle and nuts.
Typical example of the work I do is repairing this Triumph Tiger Cub crankcase; The oil feed union retaining stud hand been replaced with a high tensile steel bolt, subsequently broken and then attacked with a hammer. I successfully removed the broken stud without damaging the thread in the case and faced off the flange.
In November 2014 we made this new front brake drum for a rare 1937 Triumph Tiger 90 500cc single in our Wiltshire engineering workshop. The original part had cracked where the brake surface joins the rear face of the drum and was in a very dangerous condition. Investigation revealed that the casting was under 3mm thick in this critical area. The new one was made in a medium carbon steel with slightly shallower fins to increase material thickness of the braking surface.
New improved Parilla 175 front brake plate carved from billet. The standard back plate anchor is very weak and known to break off. This new plate is much stronger and includes a larger air scoop plus modified outer cable anchor.
Machined from solid bar this rear hub was made for an early 1920's Scott motorcycle. The hubs at this time owed much to bicycle technology and were rather flimsy so during the design stage I took the opportunity to increase the thickness of the hub where the L/H and R/H threads for rear sprocket and retaining nut are a weak point. At the customer's request the hub was also designed to accept taper roller bearings.
Billet aluminium chain adjusters made for our own Honda CB125T racing motorcycle, 35% weight of the original steel Honda components with cool looks too!
Modifications to a Norton 'doll's head' gearbox end cover to replicate the Pre War racing version including blanking off the kickstart shaft hole. In this photo the selector stop holes are machined to accept shouldered inserts as the original threads were stripped badly.
OZ motorcycle racing rear wheel sprocket carrier modified to suit a Moto2 racing motorcycle, also made a complete set of captive axle spacers to suit front and rear OZ forged racing wheels.